This soup is healthy comfort food at it’s best and it’s a really simple recipe:
- coconut oil or butter for frying
- inch of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds/ground
- 1 tsp coriander seeds (optional)
- chilli flakes to taste
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 2 handfuls of cut kale
- 150g red lentils
- 1l bouillion reduced salt veg stock (or good quality alternative)
- half tin of beans or chickpeas
- Heat fat in a large pan and fry the ginger, spices and onion lightly for a couple of minutes. Add the vegetables and cook for 5 minutes more then add the lentils and stock.
- Bring to the boil and add the beans/chickpeas and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the lentils are tender.